This week, U.S. Congressman Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) announced her endorsement of Governor Mitt Romney for President of the United States. Congressman Blackburn has served in Congress since 2003 and is a member of the Republican Study Committee.
“It is a pleasure to welcome Marsha back to our campaign to build a stronger America. As a rising conservative leader, she knows firsthand that we must bring conservative change to Washington. The only way we can do that is by returning to our core conservative principles of lowering taxes, restraining spending and streamlining government. I look forward to working with Marsha as we strengthen America through conservative change,” said Governor Romney.
Announcing her support today, Congressman Blackburn said, “Tennesseans are looking for a real conservative to hold the White House in November, and I support Governor Romney as the true conservative choice for Tennessee. I was proud to support our native son in the race, but I believe that Mitt Romney is now the clear conservative choice in this contest.”
Also today, Governor Mitt Romney announced that 13 additional Tennessee state elected leaders have joined the Romney for President team. These Tennessee leaders were previously part of Senator Fred Thompson’s campaign team, and they represent a wide cross section of the Tennessee population including all of the State’s three Grand Divisions.
“I’m proud to support Governor Mitt Romney for President. Washington is broken – and we’re not going to fix it by sending the same people back just to sit in different chairs. Governor Romney is uniquely qualified to bring change to Washington, D.C. Throughout his career, he has been an agent of change. He created jobs in the private sector. He turned around the ethically and financially challenged 2002 Winter Olympic Games. And as the chief executive of Massachusetts, he cut taxes and promoted innovative solutions that created jobs and expanded health coverage,” said former Tennessee Governor Winfield Dunn.
In making today’s announcement Governor Romney said, “I appreciate the support of these strong Republican leaders from Tennessee. All over the country people are saying that Washington is broken. I believe that I have the experience and plan to fix it. Together, we can stimulate our economy by cutting taxes, we can strengthen our military, we can end illegal immigration, and we can build stronger families. I look forward to working with these leaders to earn the support of as many Tennesseans as possible.”
Tennessee Elected Leaders Supporting Governor Romney:
· Former Governor Winfield C. Dunn, Memphis, Tennessee Governor 1971-1975
· Senator Mae Beavers, Mt. Juliet, Senate District 17
· Senator Diane Black, Gallatin, Senate District 18
· Senator Jack Johnson, Brentwood, Senate District 23
· Senator Bill Ketron, Murfreesboro, Senate District 13
· Senator Paul Stanley, Memphis, Senate District 31
· Representative Chris Crider, Milan, House District 79
· Representative Jimmy Eldridge, Jackson, House District 73
· Representative Curtis Johnson, Clarksville, House District 68
· Representative Phillip Johnson, Pegram, House District 78
· Representative Debra Young Maggart, Hendersonville, House District 45
· Representative Jason Mumpower, Bristol, House District 3
· Representative Parkey Strader, Knoxville, House District 14